Top Vase Competition Rules 2019
- The Top Vase class is for a vase of mixed flowering stems containing a total of between 5 and 10, taken from a minimum of two different kinds of plants. Please note that it is two different KINDS of plants, two varieties of the same plant are NOT two kinds.
- The display is judged out of a total of 35 points, split into: 25 points for the colour, form, condition, quality and freshness of the flowers on display, and 10 points for the overall presentation and effect of the flowers in the vase.
- The vase will be viewed from all directions. Judging of flowers should be to the normal rules used for other classes.
- Stems used in the display must be showing flowers only; no seed heads or berries will be allowed.
- The vase can be any shape and size and made from any material but must be in proportion to the display. No marks are awarded for the vase itself.
- No accessories such as bows and additional foliage will be allowed. Foliage growing naturally from the flowering stem, and still attached to that stem is allowed. Packing material – including florists’ foam – to keep the stems in place is allowed.
Notes for exhibitors and judges
- Flowering stems can be taken from ANY flowering plant.
- The different kinds of plants need to be taken from different genera. For instance, pinks, carnations and sweet william – which are all dianthus – would not be classed as different kinds.
- Use only fresh, home-grown flowers. No dried or silk flowers allowed.
- A vase by definition is any vessel that can be used to hold cut flowers and which is taller than it is wide at its widest point.
- The Top Vase class is open for anyone to enter and is not intended purely for growers who regularly display in single species classes at shows.
- Judges should use their discretion when judging the Top Vase class, bearing in mind that the entries may come from inexperienced exhibitors.
- Please note that the display has to be viewed from all directions.
- The points awarded should be clearly marked by the judges on the exhibitors’ cards.
- Any queries that may arise, regarding anything other than the above rules, should be referred to, and decided by, the show officials.
Failure to abide by any of these rules will lead to disqualification.